Despite the very best of intentions, I guess this has become another ghost blog with months of emptiness punctuated by occasional apologies. But nonetheless, here’s a long-overdue update, written out of a guilty conscience after meeting an old friend in Sheffield recently!
- Still at Sky, now working in the Environments Team, doing mostly sysadmin and automation stuff on an estate of about 1000 VM’s.
- Did a long stint on a project setting up Maven builds, also encompassed using Groovy to do some Jira integration with our deployment system- not exactly fun but all good technologies to add to the CV
- Still losing weight (we won’t talk about Christmas) and now going to the gym 2-3 times a week, and actually enjoying it!
- Based in Sheffield Mondays and Fridays, down in Brentford in the middle of the week. Takes the sting out of being away from home (but it still hurts)
- On Sheffield days, I work out of my office at the wonderful Electric Works. It’s a bit pricey though (especially for just two days a week) and if my pride can take it, I might move somewhere cheaper soon.
- Stopped contracting using an umbrella, and now working through my own limited company, Tidzo Limited. The name comes from a Greek word “katartidzo” (arguably that should be -zd- not -dz- , but when I learned it, -dz- was in favour academically). Anyway, the word means to repair, to mend, to equip, prepare, put right, make useful etc. Theologically significant, not entirely irrelevant for what I do, and a nice short domain name.
- Found an absolutely brilliant web app for managing the accounts of a company like mine – Free Agent Central. It’s tremendous, and I simply couldn’t imagine doing this without it. Use my referral link for 10% off for you and for me: http://fre.ag/3nkx6qby
That’s all for now – hopefully it won’t be quite so long before the next update